Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Need advice on "vice" (w / pictures)

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
Upscale wrote:

"R.M.R" wrote in message
Thanks bud, if I can't find something similar I'll try those. Below is
a picture of the ones I described... Ray,

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...yMo700Vice.jpg

From what I can make out, it looks like a type of chipboard. I don't
think you have to worry as much about what it is, rather find something
that is likely softer than the wood you'd be working with. Even some
slabs of hard rubber should be able to fill you needs.

Interesting. Traditionally, at least in the UK, a hardwood such as beech
would be used for this purpose. It would extend about 1/2" beyond the
metal, all round, and the metal recessed into it so that there is no risk
of edge tools coming in contact with the metal. It should be 1/2" thick,
not including the recess, and the grain should be vertical.

Why vertical grain? I can see reason to prefer end grain, butcher block
style, for the compressive load between the vise faces. I installed thick
horizontal grain faces to extend the vise width. Racking so far isn't a
problem. Why vertical grain?