Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A question about finishing mahogany

I assume you are talking about a grain filler to try and get a piano
type surface. If so, an you haven't done this before, you need to
practice quite a bit to learn how. (p.s. don't practice on your
project) I've done grain filling a few times and still never got it
completly right.

Most people use burlap to buff it off after it flashes dry (hazy).
Then sand across the grain so you don't pull the filler out of the
grain lines and I would use a very light hand and 400 if you are
really trying for flat.

On Feb 23, 5:30*am, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
I am doing my first project using mahogany. I am using a wood filler before
I apply an oil finish. I bought a wood filler product from Rockler. The
instructions say to sand after the filler has dried but not to sand too hard
or the filler would be removed from the wood pores. Can any one give me some
advice about what grit paper you have used to sand your mahogany after
filling? I would assume something light like 220 but I would like someone
with experience to confirm please.

Thanks.

Dick Snyder