Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_4_] Dick Snyder[_4_] is offline

Default A question about finishing mahogany

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
I am doing my first project using mahogany. I am using a wood filler
before I apply an oil finish. I bought a wood filler product from
Rockler. The instructions say to sand after the filler has dried but not
to sand too hard or the filler would be removed from the wood pores. Can
any one give me some advice about what grit paper you have used to sand
your mahogany after filling? I would assume something light like 220 but
I would like someone with experience to confirm please.

Thanks.

Dick Snyder

An oil finish as in tung oil or linseed oil, or as in varnish? I wouldn't
be too inclined to use any kind of filler with tung oil or linseed oil;
that would kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

If you're using oil varnish, will you be staining the wood? Some of those
fillers can look pretty damned ugly stuck in the pores of perfectly good
Mahogany, stain or no. I'd definitely test your methods on scrap before
committing anything to the final workpiece.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

No stain. I will be using General Finishes Seal-A-Cell Clear (an oil and
urethane blend - David Marks uses this product) followed by several coats of
Arm-R-Seal, also from General Finishes. I have some left over mahogany so I
will try the filler on a piece followed by the Seal-A-Cell and then just the
Seal-A-Cell on another piece so I can see the difference.