Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default A question about finishing mahogany

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am doing my first project using mahogany. I am using a wood filler before
I apply an oil finish. I bought a wood filler product from Rockler. The
instructions say to sand after the filler has dried but not to sand too hard
or the filler would be removed from the wood pores. Can any one give me some
advice about what grit paper you have used to sand your mahogany after
filling? I would assume something light like 220 but I would like someone
with experience to confirm please.

Thanks.

Dick Snyder

An oil finish as in tung oil or linseed oil, or as in varnish? I
wouldn't be too inclined to use any kind of filler with tung oil or
linseed oil; that would kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

If you're using oil varnish, will you be staining the wood? Some of
those fillers can look pretty damned ugly stuck in the pores of
perfectly good Mahogany, stain or no. I'd definitely test your methods
on scrap before committing anything to the final workpiece.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.