Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default A question about finishing mahogany

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am doing my first project using mahogany. I am using a wood filler before
I apply an oil finish. I bought a wood filler product from Rockler. The
instructions say to sand after the filler has dried but not to sand too
hard or the filler would be removed from the wood pores. Can any one give
me some advice about what grit paper you have used to sand your mahogany
after filling? I would assume something light like 220 but I would like
someone with experience to confirm please.

Thanks.

Dick Snyder

Sand only enough to resmooth the surface and remove excess build up.
Typically I only sand to 180 grit but what ever you use as a last grit
should be OK.