Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default solar charger for 12v car/leisure battery

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I was advised (on uk diy) that a leisure battery might discharge if
left unused for some time and I was told that a solar charger would
top-up the charge and prevent this. What size solar panel would I
need? Does the output of the panel have to be a certain ration of the
capacity of the battery? If so, what's the magic formula?

The rate of self discharge of a lead acid battery is very low - I've
expect it still to be healthy after the seasonal break in use. And a
charge with an ordinary charger before use will be fine. Solar units are
very expensive for what they are - and not reliable in the UK climate. Get
a Lidl charger when they come up again - about 12 quid and small enough to
fit in the pocket.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW