Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Default 50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
The New World seventy-six cooker I have needs the taps / knobs
lubricating - I saw something on a previous post suggesting gss cock
grease. Is this the stuff, and is it straightforward to dismantle
and re-grease them? A gas engineer I spoke to muttered darkly about
carbon monoxide and said any engineer would charge ?100 to come out
and then slap a condemned label on it to cover himself. I like the
cooker but like life more - should I think of scrapping it for
safety?

50+ years old?

I'd get rid of the bloody thing as soon as possible, before it kills
you.

Age, of itself, doesn't make something dangerous, does it?

Apart from pancake mix.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp