Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default 50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

YAPH wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:24:14 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

I cant think of anything about a modern cooker that a 1950s one doesnt
have, other than insulation in the oven cavity wall. Just as safe.

Flame failure device, in the oven at least and increasingly nowadays on
the burners too (mandatory in blocks of flats).

Plus taps and regulators that are designed for higher pressure NG (aka
North Sea gas) rather than ancient Town Gas.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about flame failure devices.

However the taps and regulators must have been acceptable at NG
pressures when the conversion was done. (Would the regulator have been
changed at conversion time? If so, then it would even be designed for NG.)

--
Rod

onset.