Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default I already had electrical outlets installed prior to sheetrock...

On Feb 22, 5:39*pm, wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:49*am, "RBM" wrote:

"harry k" wrote in message

On Feb 21, 9:20 pm, wrote:

I have a major renovation going on and during framing, plumbing and
electrical rough in I got sick of dragging a 100' extension cord
everywhere and have to use those dim work lights after dark so I went
ahead and install most of the outlets.

Now I am ready to do sheet rock I am wondering if I should remove the
outlets so they don't get damaged during sheet rock installation or
get rolled on later when I paint the walls...or should I just tape
over them and peel the tape off later?

It will be some work to remove these outlets from the boxes and
install them back later, we are talking about 72 outlets. I also
wonder if I can just unscrew the outlets and stick them into the
electrical box.

I will be hiring out for the sheet rock work, do they typically precut
the wall board for the electrical cutouts? I think they have to since
I already have the mud rings on, right?

Thanks,

MC

1. *Normally, mud rings are not used for new work, the box is
installed either 1/2" or 5/8" protruding - they even have 'dimples' on
them for 1/2" out spacing.

When would they be used? It sure isn't for old work. They're used anytime
you want or need a large box. I routinely use them for any outlet location
that has more than two cables and all kitchen outlet wiring

2. *The 'rockers cannot rotozip with either mud rings or outlets in
place.

3. *You will be paying extra if you do not remove at least the outlets
and probably anyhow due to themudrings.

Harry K

I did not know that.

The electricians I hired were not top rate and there were lots of
fumbles.

They told me the usual method is to set the boxes flush with the
studs, and then use mud rings to make up the difference between the
stud and finished wall. *I followed their instructions and ok the work
so now all the boxes are flushed with the studs, not easy to move
since that's all rigid EMT conduit work.

Some of the boxes have quite a bit of wires, the electricians told me
to put mud ring on and that keeps the wire coiled in them until I am
ready to install the switches and outlets. *Seems to make sense to me
at the time, I thought about sheet rockers using rotozip to route out
the box, but subconsciously I ruled that out because I thought with
the wires in them the rotozip would end up piercing the wirings at
best, and since I used all double gang boxes even though many of them
will actually be single gang outlets or switches, there is no way they
would be able to cut them correctly without the mud ring on. *I used
double gang boxes because I ran into problem using the single box
before when I need to put in those big thick GFCI boxes it does not
leave a lot of room for wires especially if the box also serve as a
junction box so I prefer to do that to have some extra room if needed.

I didn't really think through this whole process. *I am still a bit
confused about using a rotozip to cut around the inside of a box
wouldn't that have a pretty high likelihood of tearing into the wires
in the box and what about where I would have a single gang switch/
outlet but I used a double gang box.

Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

There may be a bit of confusion here. There are two types of box add-
ons.

1. Mud ring - meant to be used for plaster work. Been a long time
since I looked at one of those so I don't recall how much they 'stick
out'. It isn't much, just the thickness of the plaster coats.

2. Box extenders - used to increase the amount of room in the box.

They are quite different animals.

Harry K