Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default DIY hydraulic presses, with electric pumps

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Feb 21, 11:58 am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Awl --

In particular, how does one size the motor/pump for a given tonnage? Say,
10 tons. Is tonnage the only issue? See below.

My log splitter uses a 5.5 HP gas engine to run an 11 CFM Barnes two-
stage pump, driving a 3.5" cylinder at up to 2500 PSI. This works out
to 12 tons. The parts all came from Northern Hydraulics long before I
bought the thing. When the pump shifts to low range the piston speed
is a little more than I'd want for a press unless it was doing a
predictable production job. Otherwise log splitter hydraulic hardware
seems reasonable. Anyone else try this?

The engine will drive the pump to 2500 PSI at about 3000 RPM, a sweet
spot for low vibration. It stalls if I set it much lower so I don't
know how well it would work if you direct-coupled the pump to a 1725
RPM motor. Not all low-cost hydraulic pumps have bearings suitable for
a pulley's side load.

======================================

I may have stumbled on an even easier solution:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthyd01.html

shows a 12 ton air-operated bottle jack. I would assume the travel is
orders of magnitude faster than manually pumping the jack.

$150 gets a 20 ton.

All's I gotta do is build something of a frame for it, and it should be
good.

At $76 for the whole unit, I don't think I could get a lovejoy coupling
for a hydraulic motor/pump.

You could get a press from harbor freight for about $120.00 and put the jack
on it you pointed out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1667

Or you could get a bigger press for the 20 ton jack from them also at
$239.00.

Richard W.