Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default 50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

Rod wrote:

wrote:

Yes it's really well made. Is flame failure cut-out now standard?
Never come across it.. My safety concerns are to do with the age of
the thing, but although not an expert I don't usually think of age as
bad (increasingly so!); just depends on the context. Call me old
fashioned but mountains of recently manufactured stuff being dumped to
be replaced ad infinitum doesn't seem to make sense...

Truth to tell, I just *assumed* that some such would be fitted to the
oven and grill (but possibly not the rings) - after posting I suddenly
realised that I don't know - hopefully someone who does know will now post.

No, flame failure is rare on hobs. That's why 22mm pipe is used for gas
nowadays, when a big boiler kicks in, it could suck up enough of the gas
in a pipe, that a lit burner on a hob temporarily goes out as gas flow
is reduced so much, the gas flow would resume fairly quickly, but it
wouldnt be lit.
Separate gas pipes to the cooker and boiler usually solve this, as well
as the bigger bore pipes now required on boilers.
Alan.