Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

wrote:
The New World seventy-six cooker I have needs the taps / knobs
lubricating - I saw something on a previous post suggesting gss cock
grease. Is this the stuff, and is it straightforward to dismantle and
re-grease them? A gas engineer I spoke to muttered darkly about carbon
monoxide and said any engineer would charge £100 to come out and then
slap a condemned label on it to cover himself. I like the cooker but
like life more - should I think of scrapping it for safety?

50+ years old?

I'd get rid of the bloody thing as soon as possible, before it kills you.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk