Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] petermeakins@googlemail.com is offline

Default 50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

On Feb 22, 6:30*pm, cynic wrote:
On 22 Feb, 18:08, wrote:

The New World seventy-six cooker I have needs the taps / knobs
lubricating - I saw something on a previous post suggesting gss cock
grease. Is this the stuff, and is it straightforward to dismantle and
re-grease them? A gas engineer I spoke to muttered darkly about carbon
monoxide and said any engineer would charge £100 to come out and then
slap a condemned label on it to cover himself. I like the cooker but
like life more - should I think of scrapping it for safety? The flame
on one burner was a little yellow, to I closed what I took to be an
air inlet screw on the cast iron pipe leading to it - this improved it
but even fully tightened the flame is still a little yellow. Would re-
greasing the taps help this - and should I be in there at all? Thanks
for advice.
Peter

Greasing gas taps is relatively simple, do not use excessive amounts
of grease or you may clog the injector and bypass ports. As with all
such jobs you really ought to have the facility to check the cock is
closing of correctly and does not leak around the barrel on completion
(a little leak detector spray might be a reassurance here) With
respect to the yellow flame, a thorough clean out of the air inlet,
burner mixing tube and the burner head may work wonders. Your screw
adjustment needs a bit more clarification. Is it a screw which
projects into the mixing tube? If so the effect of screwing it in is
to create a resistance to the flow of gas and air from the injector
jet to the burner and would tend to soften the flame by reducing the
airflow. Less air, same amount of gas will tend to cause yellowing of
the flame not reduce it. On an old burner scaling and corrosion may be
causing a restriction within the casting. Try a stiff baby bottle
brush or similar

Thanks for all that. I will see if I can get hold of some gas cock
grease and give it a go...What I described as 'adjusting screws' are
located on the top of the mixing tubes, just behind the taps. I'd
assumed they were to adjust the gas / air mix, but from what you are
saying that is not really correct. I am wondering what their purpose
is? I will start with a thorough clean as you suggest and go from
there.