Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tamper-resistant sheet metal screws (Pin type)

Phil Again wrote:
{snip}
So it's easy to get, but I still think that few people will have it,
mostly the guys who love to buy tools, and I don't think they are the
same ones who tear things apart just for fun.

{snip}

mm:

You win the prize----- You seem to one of the very few who have actually
made an attempt to answer my question.

I honestly don't care how easy it is to get the tool. The inconvenience
of driving to HF, or Sears, or ordering on the Internet is in itself
enough deterrent. And as you stated, guys who love tools and / or likely
to have the tool back at home, are not going to remove the screws or take
it apart just for fun; but if they have a *need* they will get the tool
and open it. Which is OK with me.

Thanks to all who replied.

Phil

Pin in center fasteners are easily defeated with an
automatic center punch. You place the tip of the punch
in the space between the pin and drive surface, push
and it will break off the the pin so a standard hex
or Torx bit can be used. I remember seeing a fastener
that had a head similar to a dome nut but without the
flats. The head was not as tall as a dome nut, more
like a round head screw but slightly out of round so
nothing but the matching tool could grip it.

TDD