Posted to alt.home.repair
jimmy jimmy is offline

Default Lifetime guarantee

I purchased a small roto tiller from sears, a mantis, It developed a leak
within the warranty period. Took it back and they told me I had to send it
back to mantis. I told them no way it was within the return period.. Since
it was a close out and had none on the florr they traded me for a new
craftsman mini tiller that was a better value...worked for me
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Erik wrote:
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got
a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................
If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the
receipt and guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been
pretty good to me on their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no
receipt is needed.

Was it one of the black rubber hoses marked 'Craftsman' on one of the
fittings? If so they should have exchanged it on the spot. If it wasn't a
'Craftsman', they might be right.

I bought a Craftsman hose many years ago, and have exchanged it more than
a few times now

I've also been taking back loads of broken/worn out hard (commercially)
used craftsman hand tools... often weekly since the 70's and rarely get
any guff off them. Problems usually occur with new employees who haven't
been properly trained.

Another issue is mission 'critical' items we need replaced, but are out
of stock. This necessitated the purchase of a few dupes for use as
spares.

That warranty has saved me untold tens of thousands of dollars through
the years... it's a good deal.

Be aware, there are limitations, power and most cutting tools aren't
included... however, strangely enough cold chisels and punched are! Read
the warranty info and ask questions before you buy if in doubt.

Erik

I seem to recall Sears handing out ratchet
rebuild kits at one time whenever a customer
brought a Craftsman ratchet back.

TDD