Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default I already had electrical outlets installed prior to sheetrock...

John Grabowski wrote:

wrote in message
I have a major renovation going on and during framing, plumbing and
electrical rough in I got sick of dragging a 100' extension cord
everywhere and have to use those dim work lights after dark so I went
ahead and install most of the outlets.

Now I am ready to do sheet rock I am wondering if I should remove the
outlets so they don't get damaged during sheet rock installation or
get rolled on later when I paint the walls...or should I just tape
over them and peel the tape off later?

It will be some work to remove these outlets from the boxes and
install them back later, we are talking about 72 outlets. I also
wonder if I can just unscrew the outlets and stick them into the
electrical box.

I will be hiring out for the sheet rock work, do they typically precut
the wall board for the electrical cutouts? I think they have to since
I already have the mud rings on, right?

*Many years ago I would put the outlets on and tucked them inside of the
box when I roughed-in a room and it was okay because the drywallers
measured and precut the drywall before hanging. Now they slam the
drywall up against the box and use a RotoZip to cut out the hole using
the box as a guide. The last time I put a switch on so the crew could
have lights on while working they removed it. Now I leave everything
off until the walls are painted. I suggest that you remove the outlets
and tuck the wires into the box to reduce the possibility of them
getting cut by the RotoZip.

i agree, there's no way they're gonna be able to rotozip them with the
outlets in place. And i can't imagine a company precutting by
measurement. even if they did, you'd still have to unscrew the outlets
and stuff them in the box, and they'd still stick out a bit. Just
remove them.