Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default DIY hydraulic presses, with electric pumps

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl --

In particular, how does one size the motor/pump for a given tonnage?
Say, 10 tons. Is tonnage the only issue? See below.

My buddy needs one made, is getting a price, but it seems like the price
keeps climbing, and they are claiming he needs 7.5 hp for 10 tons.

We had a Daco 55 ton press, and I'd swear that press had only mebbe a 1-2
hp motor.

BUT, it operated very slowly.

I would imagine for a *faster* stroke at a given tonnage, hp increases,
as the hydraulic "mechanical advantage" is probably decreasing with
increased speed, so a bigger motor is req'd.

How to calc??

Iny links to DIY sites around?

Oh, it just dawned on me:

I in fact have an 80 ton bottle jack (manual), AND two hydraulic
pumps/resevoirs from an old car lift.

Is it straightforward to attach a hydraulic pump to a hand bottle jack?
If so, what types of parts/valves/etc are req'd? DIY site?

--

Mr. PV'd

At work we have a press that uses an air cylinder to pump a hand type pump.
It might be easier to use an air cylinder to pump the bottle jack.
Otherwise you have to try to find a way of getting the fluid in to the high
pressure side of the bottle jack. I'm wondering if you could remove the
bottle jacks pump piston, make a duplicate and drill a hole through it for
hydraulic fluid, that might work.

RogerN