Posted to uk.d-i-y
zen83237 zen83237 is offline

Default CFL Bulbs Is this costing me money

"John" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Zen83237 wrote on 20/02/2009 :
If I am getting this for nothing fair enough but if I am paying for it
what is the point of a low energy bulb that consumes energy when it is
switched off. In my case it is a constant flicker on three lights that
have an light sensitive security switch.

You will be paying for the running of the security switch, the
flickering is a by product of this.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Would that be more or less power than the standby on a tv. Seems that
there is another way of saving power here. I hadn't realised that the
power to run a light sensitive switch would power up a CFL bulb.. I just
wonder why the public can't be advised of this problem, if you can call
it that. I assumed that it was a wiring fault.

The issue is not about the CFL Lamp - the issue is that you are needing to
power an electronic device - the security switch. Do you expect it to run
on fresh air? If you dig out the instructions it should tell you it
consumes something - perhaps in the order of 0.2 of a watt. It gets its
'neutral' to complete its circuit through the electronics of the CFL - or
the filament of a bulb. The bulb would get immeasurably warm as a result -
the CFL will give an occasional flicker.

Before you get paranoid about your TV Standby - look at the spec. Modern
sets are very low - mine is only 0.8 of a watt - not that it gets left on
standby much.

Bigger fish to fry as they say.

(Why don't people reduce the timer setting on their PIR Lights for
example)

Sorry, please read my post again. Who said "OCCASIONAL" flicker. This is
constant flickering. If this is 0.2 watts, well I don't know. It certainly
gives off a significant amount of light, and by the way is bloody annoying.
If it is only consuming power that has otherwise been used and is not
costing extra then fair enough. But my simple mind tells me if something
emits energy then that energy must come from somewhere. Surely the 0.2 watts
is consumed in the switch. How can the same energy now power up the bulb. If
it does then you have hit on how to solve the world's energy problems. Use
the same power twice over.
If it wasn't so bloody annoying I would live with it. Who says that people
don't reduce their PIR settings. Mine it minimum settings and it still comes
of far too frequently and long before it is anything like dark.