Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default CFL Bulbs Is this costing me money

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:40:48 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:28:20 -0000, "John"
wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" writes:
snip

Before you get paranoid about your TV Standby - look at the spec. Modern
sets are very low - mine is only 0.8 of a watt - not that it gets left
on
standby much.

Ha ! Joy ! At last someone who understands the eco bollox about standby
modes, that is continuously thrust at us now ...

It stems from old TV's. If you have a TV well over 10 years old,
it will have a standby of something like 5W - 10W, and depending
on how much you use it, you might find total standby consumption
exceeds the actual viewing consumption. Many countries have had
rules in place for many years now limiting standby power to 1W,
and given TV's are manufactured for use in many different countries,
we all benefit from those rules in any new TV you buy today, even
when we don't actually have such a rule.

We still have problems with items designed for use only in this
(or only a few) countries, which are things like set top boxes.
They often don't significantly reduce consumption in standby
mode.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I can't see how total standby can exceed actual viewing consumption - this
sounds even more like eco bollox!

Snip

Simple,

Some STB's etc use about the same energy on standby as in operation

Actual hours TV watched may be 2-5 hours.

So standby hours = 19 - 22 hours (if maximised by the user).

Ergo standby consumption can far exceed useful consumption.

Derek

Same as a 'low energy' 'bulb' - leave it on for long enough and it's use
more than a GLS that's on for the time needed.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.