Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Why I shop at Ace Hardware

clipped
There used to be a hardware store in Santa Ana (Orange County, CA). I can't
remember the name but they really did have everything that could be called
hardware. If you had a 100 year old dresser that was missing a knob they
had it in stock. It may have cost you $10-15 for that one knob but they had
it. I really miss their spring-loaded cabinet catches.

Sigh! Sounds like Gerald's in Westchester (LA area, on Lincoln Blvd
en route to LAX). Staffed by Olde Tymers who knew everything, could
find everything, and gave what (remember!) personal service.
Never found out why they closed; I hope it was just due to retirement
or something reasonable, but I miss the hell out of them. Not that
near me, but well worth the trip.

Sounds like my sewing machine guy ...... I asked him how long he had
been repairing sewing machines and he said "all my life". He looks
about 70, but his wife looks older. He knows all, has all the parts,
and teaches a couple of younger guys. One of the younger ones, though,
answered a question pops couldn't answer. I bought a case for my
daughter's new/old Singer machine from him - he originally quoted $70,
which is more case than needed. Got it later for half that. The second
time I asked, he came down more that what I had been prepared to pay, so
I pitched in the difference. My Singer is going on 40 years old and
does everything I will ever want to do with a sewing machine, including
sew boat covers. The handle on my sew. mach. case rusted and broke - he
had another, along with the goofy spring clip that holds it on. Another
engineering marvel.

One of these days, a couple of handy guys are going to get tired of this
nonsense and start repairing good stuff. Americans have gotten too
freaking lazy...hope we can never again afford to pitch a "new" TV and
go out and buy another.