Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default OT - How hot to expand enough...?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:52:50 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

Well, you sure as hell don't want to heat anything RED HOT, unless you
don't mind destroying the temper of the steel. Are you using a gear
puller? If not, you're not using the correct tool for the job.

Howdy,

As you may have seen, the problem is solved, but...

While it is certainly true that I may not have been using
the "correct tool for the job," a gear puller was not the
correct tool either.

I tried one.

The problem was that the U-Joint could not be moved out of
the way sufficiently to allow the threaded shaft of the
puller to press on the shaft.

(Also, though I did not heat it even close to red hot, this
was a forging, and had no temper to be destroyed.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth