Tom Watson

Default Water Damage on Wood Furniture

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:54:56 GMT, Bay Area Dave
wrote:

Terry,

on the cherry table: try leaving mayonnaise, furniture polish or
petroleum jelly on the rings overnight. Another method would be to
lightly dampen a rag with denatured alcohol and wipe the rings with
light pressure. Good luck.

dave

Terry wrote:

One the front corner of our buffet, a leaky water pitcher was placed
and left over night, and unfortunately was rubbed briskly when it was
still soft. The varnish is a bit gummy now and the surface is less
than smooth. Is there any way to fix it with out having to refinish
the whole top?

Also have a Cherry dining table with water rings from hot drinks.
Still perfectly smooth, just a white haze left behind.

Would greatly appreciate help in restoring these items. Thanks!

Do not do any of the things that BAD said that you should do.

You must first determine what kind of finish is on the piece. Once
you have done that you can formulate a response.

Here is a link to a decent book on the subject that should be
available in one of your local bookstores.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I fear that BAD was raised as a Formican.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson