Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lifetime guarantee

Charlie wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:32:48 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got
a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................
If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the receipt
and
guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been pretty good to me
on
their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no receipt is needed.

That is why store brand products are generally the best buy at places
like sears and hardware stores. If an Ace hardware brand item with a
lifetime warranty fails, ACE replaces it. If a Sears or Craftsman item
fails, Sears replaces it. If a Radio Shack product fails,adio Shack
replaces it.

When I worked at RadioShack a dozen or so years ago (I was a retiree and
being there was better than sitting at home) there wasn't anything with a
lifetime guarantee. Some items might have a year, but otherwise it was 90
days.

If you buy some "name brand" item, generally the manufacturer replaces
it and you are responsible to get it back to them.

And heaven help you if it is some off-brand chinese product and you
need to return it to CHINA for replacement.

I worked for Tandy Repair, the repair division of Radio
Shack back in 1978-79 and the Radio Shack Mach One speakers
had a lifetime warranty. Negro Americans were returning
the damn things with the terminals and cross over networks
melted not to mention all the drivers and voice coils blown.
It was amazing, I think they were listening to square waves.
Radio Shack did away with lifetime warranty a short time
later.

TDD