Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Dobony Michael Dobony is offline

Default Appliance Bulb Filament Continuity

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:08:42 -0500, Charlie Darwin wrote:

"Charlie Darwin" wrote in message
"Charlie Darwin" wrote in message
"Charlie Darwin" wrote in message
The light in my GE microwave quit coming on so after pulling the case
apart to get at it (great design, guys!), the filament of this 25 watt
plug in bulb looks intact. However, a meter across the two male terminal
spades shows no continuity.

There's power at the connector supplying the light when the door is open
or the oven is running-- so that's not the problem. Could the bulb be
bad even when it shows continuity?

Make that ...NO continuity....

OK guys-- off to the appliance parts store. I'll post back later...

Parts guy was stumped by the intact filament/no continuity too (see Van's
post). But I decided to try a new bulb (for $11.24.

I just had an auto light like that. The problem was not inside the glass,
but between the glass and the mount. That is quite high for a bulb.

It shows continuity.....and works. Thanks to all for the helpful
suggestions.

Continuity means it should work. No continuity means it is broken. End of
story.