Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default No Alligators Please

Michael Dobony wrote:
We are trying to paint some pinewood derby cars with Kryon paint. If
we let the paint set for over 24 hours we get an alligator finish on
the cars. Any idea what is happening here?

Mike D.

Alligatoring - AKA reticulation - occurs when a new coat is put on one that
is not yet dry...the surface of the new coat dries rapidly but the coat
under it continues to dry over time and as it does so the newer top coat
shrinks and crinkles. The first coat may *seem* dry but is not.

I never used to have this problem with spray paints but sometimes do now.
Seems to vary by brand too. I don't know what changes have been made in the
formulation to cause the problem but - perhaps - the type/amount of solvent.
Perhaps the solvent nowadays softens - thus expanding- the first coat.

The only solution I have found is to spary ALL coats in the first couple of
hours OR wait several days before re-spraying.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...