Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default OT - How hot to expand enough...?

On Feb 20, 10:40*pm, Kenneth
wrote:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:31:50 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:14*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

I threw the chain on my 6' tractor mounted snow blower
(because the master link cracked...)

In order to replace and adjust the chain, I have to
disassemble part of the blower.

There is a universal joint that is keyed, and its yoke slips
onto the drive shaft. Or, more accurately, it slipped on
when everything was new, and clean.

Getting it off has proven to be pretty tough. Using various
wedging techniques, I managed to get it off for all but
about 1/2" of its length, but I have not had any luck moving
it further than that.

And so, this question:

I know that by heating the yoke, I should be able to get
some expansion, and that should make removing it a bit
easier, but I have no idea how hot I want it to be to have
benefit, but without damaging the thing.

Also, whatever (approximate) temperature I was to shoot for,
how would I know when I was there?

I am clueless, and would appreciate any help on this hassle.

My torch, and I await...

I saw a History Channel show on locomotives. In the show, they demonstrated
how they changed the tires on railroad cars (yes, they do have tires). They
heated the sucker up until the tire expanded and it popped right off. Then
they took a new (and hot) tire, pounded it on the wheel, and let the thing
cool.

So, I suppose heating the object - whether a yoke or a railroad rim - is
sufficient.- Hide quoted text -

This is my favorite trick, heat it up with a torch not too hot then
apply candle wax to the joint. Hot candle wax is a very good
penetrating lubricant. Works for rusty nuts and bolts and problems
like the OP has.

Jimmie

Hi again,

Any hints about what "not too hot" might mean? g

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

Not hot enough to effect the metal temper. I just got through using
this technique a few minutes ago on some rusty U bolts. The guy I was
working with had been a mechanic in the Navy for 8 years and he was
impressed by how well it worked.

Jimmie