Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default Hurco VFD Max RPM & braking

On Feb 21, 12:45*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:05:54 -0800 (PST), oldjag

purchased the optional braking resistor, but it's not clear from the
manual if this really enhances braking over DC injection,

The braking resistor sucks up the generated hysterisis currents ...IE
the load the various turning bits has when trying to stop it quickly.

Yes..its way important when trying to stop quickly.

My Gorton Mastermill, with its BIG spindle and 5 hp motor will stop in
under 1 second from *3000 rpm when I hit the stop button. *5hp PC3 VFD
and running from 220vt single phase, with a 200 watt ceramic braking
resistor @ 140 ohms.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

I installed the 250 watt 60 ohm resistor as per the manual. It does
not seem to be adding to the brake torque, ie the decell time is the
same. I suspect some kind of translation error or omission in the
manual that is leaving out a parameter needed to enable the resistor
braking correctly. The resistor is not even getting warm after
several full rpm to zero stops. Guess I gota call Teco's help line
Monday. Any thoughts on exceeding the base RPM, ie. 2X on a 1800 rpm
motor?