Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Darwin Charlie Darwin is offline

Default Appliance Bulb Filament Continuity

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Charlie Darwin" wrote in message
"Charlie Darwin" wrote in message
The light in my GE microwave quit coming on so after pulling the case
apart to get at it (great design, guys!), the filament of this 25 watt
plug in bulb looks intact. However, a meter across the two male
terminal
spades shows no continuity.

There's power at the connector supplying the light when the door is
open
or the oven is running-- so that's not the problem. Could the bulb be

bad
even when it shows continuity?

Make that ...NO continuity....

You are asking if a burned-out bulb is bad? This is why I don't believe
in
evolution.

If you stick it in another (more portable) lamp and flick it with your
fingernail while it is on sometimes the filament will reconnect and weld
itself back in place. This, of course, works better with DC than with AC.
I have fixed many incandesant bulbs this way.

Better reread the OP a bit more carefully and The Origin of the Species too
;-)