Posted to alt.home.repair

Default extension ring for fan box?

"RBM" wrote in message

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Does anyone make an extension ring rated for hanging ceiling fans? Am
about to dive into rewiring upstairs bedrooms, and one of the things I'd
like to do is change the ceiling fixture boxes for fan-rated ones. Given
my druthers, I'd put extension rings on them as well, seeing as the
house was originally wired with switch legs so there's lots of wires in
your average ceiling box (and that is also the logical place to splice
into a circuit for future additions.) But before I truck down to the
Real Electrical Supply Place (which involves getting up at
0-dark-hundred so as not to be late for work) I wanted to make sure they
existed.

*I have never seen a fan rated extension box. There are deep fan boxes
available though, 4"octagonal x 2 1/8" deep. I think that I have seen
them at Home Depot.

That's the biggest I've seen too. Side bracket deep 4" round box. I
suppose, if he really needed the space, he could mount a deep 1900 box to
a block of wood and drill out the ring collar and through bolt it. As long
as the box isn't the "sole support" of the fan, it's OK.

*Roy you've reminded me of how I used to mount fans before the proliferation
of fan braces and boxes. I would use a 2" x 4" block of wood spanned over
several ceiling joists with 2 lengths of 1/4" threaded rod penetrating into
the box. I would then attach the fan's mounting bracket directly to the
threaded rod. With everything double nutted the fan was very secure, but it
was a lot more effort then what is now required with the new fan rated
hardware.