Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Burglarized...need new door in basement

wrote in message
Someone broke open the basement door yesterday and stole our TV.

I need to replace the door. I'd like to get a metal security door.

(1) What kind of contractor should I hire to replace the door? Should
I buy my own door and have them install that, or hire someone who
supplies the door?

(2) It's a basement door opening out on an exterior concrete
stairwell. (Apparently the burglar liked that---out of view of
neighbors and street, unlike all the other doors.) Current frame is
3/4" thick and is mounted on masonry. Is it possible to replace all
that and somehow secure it to masonry?

Are you talking about this type of setup?
http://www.bilco.com/foundations/sto...5&category=117

Usually a carpenter does doors, but this style may or may not be in their
bag of tricks. Bilco can recommend an installer though, or the local dealer
will have a list.

If you are talking about a standard type of door, call a carpenter or home
repair/remodel contractor.