Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT - How hot to expand enough...?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:11:59 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/20/2009 5:06 PM dpb spake thus:

Kenneth wrote:

I know that by heating the yoke, I should be able to get
some expansion, and that should make removing it a bit
easier, but I have no idea how hot I want it to be to have
benefit, but without damaging the thing.

Also, whatever (approximate) temperature I was to shoot for,
how would I know when I was there?

When it starts showing red, move the torch on around.

IANAM*, but I'm pretty sure that red-hot is too hot. I think you'd
basically be annealing a hardened steel part, which is probably not what
a guy would want to do.

I anneal before no man.

I think you're right.

* I am not a metallurgist.