Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default OT - How hot to expand enough...?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:17:26 -0500, wrote:

Why won't the last 1/2 inch come off? Is it getting tighter, or are
you just out of removal leverage.

Metal can change when heated especially heat treated parts.

Do not make the yoke glow at all. Your best bet is to have your
pulling device ready and heat the part as fast as you can so that
the shaft stays cooler. No need to go above 600 degrees.

Hi again,

It appears that the last part of the shaft is rusted, and
with that, yes, as I move the yoke off, it does appear to be
getting "tighter." It is not a leverage issue.

You suggest not going higher than 600 degrees, but...

How might I know when I am somewhere near that temperature?

Thanks for any further thoughts,
--
Kenneth