Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help; power lines to house

On Feb 20, 7:36*am, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:24:52 -0600, AZ Nomad

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:10:14 -0600, Mac wrote:

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article , "Mac" wrote:

there are six lines running into the crawl-space, three of
which go to the fuse box and three just laying on the dirt, no caps or
anything, just chopped off flush and laying there.

Are the cut-off cables the SAME as the three going to the fuse box? *If
not, it's likely they are abandoned cables - that NEW cables were added
later and pulled through the same conduit.

As for them laying on the dirt: *I would LEAVE them alone unless you
plan to USE the space thereby exposing the cables to potential damage..
That is, of course, assuming the space is perfectly dry. *Then again, if
they are suitable for direct burial, laying on the ground shouldn't hurt
a thing.

The recommendation to clamp them to overhead joists is a good one but
there might not be enough slack to do so.

For not a WHOLE LOT of $$ more than ordinary conduit, you could enclose
them in "split duct" which would allow them to remain in service while
being enclosed. *This would provide excellent mechanical protection
allowing them to STAY laying on the ground. *Good luck!
--
* * * * * *
JR

Yes, they are exactly the same. *This fact along with the seller's claim
that 200 amps are running into the house but only 100 hooked up tells me
that they are either hot or just need to be hooked up.
I have a multitester so can test them fairly easily.
I'll take all precautions.
Thanks for the split-conduit idea. *I would still kill the power at the pole
but at least I wouldn't need to unhook from the panel.
-Mac

Only a person who doesn't understand electricity could make such a statement.

You can only have 200 amps running into a house if you have enough power
consumption to cause such a current draw. *

A house could be wired to handle 1000 amps, but unless you turn something
on, there'll be *zero* amps running into the house.

However, the description is correct. The house has 200 amps of
capacity , but only 100 amps of capacity connected. The house has "200
amps at the stack" and only a 100 amp panel and a 100 amp main
breaker.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I thought it was very clear what he's talking about too. It's
the total capacity that the seller stated.