Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Some recent work

On Feb 20, 4:25 pm, wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 20, 2:40 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
wrote:
It might look better if you could get brass, or at least brass
plated, slides. I always think brass looks better with wood.

Wow - I've never seen brass slides (but I haven't looked either) but
that's the best suggestion I've seen!

Believe it or not I was just googling brass full extension slides this
afternoon, but I didn't come up with anything. Anything is possible
for the right amount of $$$ but for the tiny volume I do if it works
out to $100/pr it aint worth it.

Yeah, I don't know if anyone makes brass full extension slides, I was
just saying that I prefer brass hardware with wood if it's available.
You have to work with what you can get. Like you say, money-no-object
is not a real game plan for staying in business.

For the amount of weight involved it ought to be possible to make an
undermount slide that isn't huge either.

For what it's worth, I don't think the steel slides looked all
that bad. Brass would look better, and black would too, but
you'd probably have a harder time finding slides in black than
in brass.

I can get black and white epoxy coated, but not in the smaller 75 lb
rated slides. The one time I tried epoxy coated slides the epoxy
started to wear off in the bearing track before I even got the project
fully assembled, and the epoxy that wore off got gummed up into the
bearings which made them seize, which made the slides not function
smoothly and only made the wear problem worse. I don't know if it was
a bad batch or what, I sent them back and replaced with the regular
zinc.

-Kevin