Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V MR16 lighting - LED??

In article ,
Lobster writes:
What's the current state of play with these? Having just had to replace
yet another from the array of allegedly long-life 35W tungsten MR16s
which festoon our kitchen ceiling :-( I'm interested...

eg, lots he
http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=982&nm=LED+MR16+Retrofit+Version+ LED+power+supply+not+needed

What wattage do you realistically need to replace an 35W conventional
bulb?

There isn't one. In those consumer products, the white efficiency
is not much better than the halogen lamp, so you'd need something
like a 30W one. They don't exist, because there's no way to run
an MR16 at 30W without cooking the LED. Best you can get is a few
watts, and that's the equivalent of a few watts of halogen lighting.
Efficiency and lifetime of LEDs plumets when they get warm.

What's the colour temperature like?

Cold white (5000K or so). 3000K ones are only half the efficiency,
so you won't find them in cheap consumer products.

Payback time? etc etc.
Anyone made the 'jump'?

I'm playing with Luxeon ones I've made myself. If you want to buy
ready made products containing professional quality lighting LEDs,
they seem to start at around £50 each, with most nearer £80.

--
Andrew Gabriel