Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Woodcraft operates two "separate" stores

Leon wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Anyone else notice that the adverstisement in the Woodcraft flyer
does not match the local store sales? I drove 20 miles (and 20
miles back) to a Woodcraft and they said the sale item I wanted was
not on sale, yet it is on the website. Why would a franchise be
undersold by the parent company? Now I shop online, and don't visit
the local Woodcraft store.

Many if not most Woodcraft stores are franchises, privately owned. All the
Texas stores are owned by a single group. Local stores do
and will have their own sales that are good for its geographic area. You
can always order the web sale item from the web site.

I've yet to have the local store tell me they can't provide an item from the
website at the same price. Even if they have to order it they'll do so in
order to keep me coming back because they know I'll probably buy something
else while I'm there (which is how they got me into the store three times in
the past two weeks).

However matching web prices is often very difficult for a local store.
Their costs are higher than a mail-order source and price-matching can slice
their profit margin so thin there's little point in them making the sale.
Good advice from the staff and the ability to eyeball the merchandise before
you buy it is worth something, it would be a shame if the only place around
to buy tools and supplies was Harbor Freight and Hell Depot.