Posted to rec.woodworking
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Need Glue-Up Advice

"Casper" wrote in message
Charlie Groh
...jeeze, Casper, find a cabinet shop or anyone with a table saw,
you'll get your cutting done *real* quick! AFA the glueup, just make
a 90 degree angle out of a couple of pieces of 1x and attach a stop on
one end...put your rounds in there after gluing (you might cover the
"mold" with some wax paper) and clamp 'em in. You need to set up the
table saw to get a good 90, but that shouldn't be a problem, then all
you have to worry about are the widths cut off the rounds...they
should glue up fine...no matter how good you get your jig, you'd have
a helluva time gluing those scroll-saw *or* hand sawn pieces...

cg

Thanks Charlie. Unfortunately I neither have room for a table saw or
access to one. Right now I'm hoping that if finances improve this year
I can finally put up a small shop outside but with the way the economy
has been going and hitting my family, it's a slim outlook again.

I've asked at the local woodcraft and rockler about their saws and
was told no. /shrug. I imagine it's because of insurance. Even they
are a good 45 minute drive for me.

I figured since these were really small wood rounds that maybe I could
make a 90 degree jig to fit the scroll saw and cut the pieces on it
and get a better cut than by hand. If it takes me a little longer, I
don't mind as long as they come out good.

Too many things kept me away from woodworking last year and I am
re-determied to get some things done this year. I really enjoy it,
especially when other things get rough and I can zen out. Two things
connect me with my father and relax me ... walking in the woods and
working on a project that I know he would have enjoyed too.

`Casper

Yesterday somebody was giving away a free band saw on Craig's List that
looked like it was perfectly good. Maybe if you keep looking you'll find a
table saw in your area.

By "round" I take it you mean cylindrical. What are the diameters and
lengths of the pieces? My mind usually registers "dowels" as being
something like 3/8" diameter and about an inch and a half long.

If you can come up with a circular saw, a scrap of 3/4 plywood (2' x 3' or
so), a length of straight 2 x 4, and a couple of C-clamps you could rig up a
makeshift table saw. I did this many years ago and it worked quite well
except blade height adjustments were not precise.