Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Make round cutouts in screens...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:47:25 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:59:58 -0500, Wes wrote:

The steel rule die ideas seemed like they might not be a good idea.

A clicker die might be more suitable. They're not very expensive, easy
to resharpen, and much sturdier than a steel rule die.

--
Ned Simmons

This is just a guess, but any kind of two-piece die, it seems to me, is
going to be tricky for cutting nickel-based screen material.

A clicker die is not two pieces -- it's much like a steel rule die,
but is beefier and has no backing.

steel rule dies:
http://www.schroederinc.com/flat/

clicker dies:
http://www.schroederinc.com/clicker/

--
Ned Simmons

I think of clicker dies for cutting soft fabric, but aren't they about the
same thing as what we're describing? If you take a piece of steel bar, for
example, and recess the end so that you have a steel-rule-type edge, isn't
that about the same as a clicker die, only a lot more rigid?

--
Ed Huntress