Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops
[email protected] emailaddress@insightbb.com is offline

Default laptop power fault: compaq presario C300EA

On Feb 19, 4:13*pm, Jerry Peters wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:57*am, "David" wrote:
"Conor" wrote in message

In article
39, bz
says...

wrote in
:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5075/topsmfz3.jpg

Two light tan, near left bottom corner, ~1/4 distance to
top edge and ~1/8
distance to right edge, with brown polarity bands,
opposite polarity, bands
out.

Without part numbers, it's meaningless.

I see at least 3 on the bottom view, one near the top
edge center and two
near the bottom edge center, partially hidden by a wiring
bundle.

Any cap over 10 uF will probably be electrolytic.

Wrong.

--
Conor

Actually most laptops use tantalum polarized capacitors
which are a type of electrolytic capacitor. What they avoid
are the more common aluminum electrolytic capacitors.
Ceramics are available in low voltages at quite high
capacitance values, but I have yet to see one over 10 uF.

David

Nope. *There are wet tantalum capacitors (that exist), but nobody uses
those in laptops. *In laptops you find surface mount dry tantalums
among other solid types, not electrolytic at all... again, this refers
to semi-modern laptops, not something really ancient.

A tatalum cap is a type of electrolytic. Specifically the dielectric
is formed by electro-chemical action.

* * * * Jerry

Which is never what the majority calls an electrolytic cap. The
industry doesn't describe based on process, it differentiates based on
end result (except for ignorant marketing departments).