Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops
[email protected] emailaddress@insightbb.com is offline

Default laptop power fault: compaq presario C300EA

On Feb 19, 7:16*pm, bz wrote:
wrote in news:58f338af-65bf-42a4-b96e-
:

On Feb 19, 3:24*pm, bz wrote:
wrote in news:d972e65d-ba83-4734-b5b7-
:

Nope. *There are wet tantalum capacitors (that exist), but nobody use

The defining part that makes a capacitor an electrolytic is the presence

of
an electrolyte and the electro-chemical reaction that forms one of the
electrodes in 'very close proximity' to the metal electrode which can be
aluminum or tantalum or some other metal.

I used to make ceramic capacitors, so I am not really an expert on
electrolytic but you seem to have a mistaken idea as to what constitutes

an
'electrolytic'.

This is a good example of why we can't trust the encyclopedia that
anyone can edit.
The pictured caps aren't all electrolytic. *The first two from the
left are, and the rest are not (not 100% sure about the 2nd from the
end on the right side).

Electrolytic requires liquid electrolyte.

READ the article.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor
I see no mistakes in it.

YOU are mistaken in your idea that electrolytics require a liquid
electrolyte.

You will find that the essential action that produces an electrolytic is the
formation of the dielectric 'oxide' layer by the electrochemical action.

There is no point in arguing over a definition. One either accept the
commonly used definition and communicates with the world or insists on using
a different definition and is frequently misunderstood.

[quote]
Electrolyte: An electrolyte is a substance that will dissociate into ions in
solution and acquire the capacity to conduct electricity. The electrolytes
include sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium and phosphate. Informally,
called lytes. (The clue to the word electrolyte is in the lyte which comes
from the Greek lytos meaning that may be dissolved.)
[unquote]

If you look up "solid electrolyte" you will find that there are many
compounds that are considered electrolytes that contain no water and some are
even solids.

The SM chip left of C34 is probably an electrolytic, as are the two above the
marking C518 on the topside picture. On the bottom, the two chips I mentioned
before are just to the right and above the marking R678, another is above the
marking 07/03/17 on the heat pipe in your bottom picture.

But we have wandered far afield of helping the OP fix the problem with his *
laptop.

--
bz * * *73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

* remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Electrolytic is not about manufacturing as some mistakenly claim, it
is about the end result product.

If a cap has no liquid electrolyte in it, only ignorant people would
call that electrolytic in this day and age.