Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Help; power lines to house

ransley wrote:
On Feb 19, 4:34 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Feb 19, 4:06 pm, "Mac" wrote:

Hi,
My wife and I just bought our first house. It's a great house but needs
some attention here and there (what else is new, right?). It has a full
basement with a crawl-space under an addition.
Getting to the point: I found where the power lines come into the house
from
the pole (it's a farm house). They come into the crawl-space through a
short conduit but the conduit ends and the lines are just laying on the
dirt. I know this isn't great but I know where to cut the power at the
pole
so I can run them through more conduit before entering the fuse box. My
question is this; there are six lines running into the crawl-space, three
of
which go to the fuse box and three just laying on the dirt, no caps or
anything, just chopped off flush and laying there. The box is 100 amp and
the previous owner said there is 200 amps coming into the house. How can I
tell if the cables lying on the dirt are hot? Why are there six lines,
does
that make 33-1/3 amps per line? I would like to run one or two of these
unused lines to my garage (to it's own panel).
Thoughts? Comments? Panick attacks?

How about the inspection by the city, what did they say. Call them.

What city is it that inspects electrical wiring at farmhouses?- Hide quoted text -

The one that collects the TAX on the property. The same one that
inspects it for safety and sale. So thats all of them.

Snort. In the parts of the country where I have had contact with
inspectors, once you are outside city limits, the inspections, if any,
are drive-bys. Some of the 'stupids' I found in the addition to this
place definitely would not have passed a real inspection. Around here,
as long as they get their cash for the permit, and recognize the name of
the person doing the work, they are happy.

--
aem sends...