Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh Charlie Groh is offline

Default Need Glue-Up Advice

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 01:50:12 -0500, Casper
wrote:

I am starting a new project where I need to glue together small pieces
of wood. I have a number of scrap hardwoods that will suit my needs
but am not certain of the best way to go about it.

I do not have a planer or jointer, so I will have to do this either by
scroll saw or hand. My scraps are round, which are perfect for my
project but 'may' make joining more difficult.

Does anyone have suggestions on joining (gluing) rounds together so
they are as seamless as possible? Is this possible with a scroll saw
or hand plane? [Example: Gluing two dowels together on edge.]

I think I can do this on the scroll saw with the cuts being fairly
smooth, but am still trying to come up with the best method of rigging
up a jig to ensure the cuts are flat and even every time.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
`Casper

....jeeze, Casper, find a cabinet shop or anyone with a table saw,
you'll get your cutting done *real* quick! AFA the glueup, just make
a 90 degree angle out of a couple of pieces of 1x and attach a stop on
one end...put your rounds in there after gluing (you might cover the
"mold" with some wax paper) and clamp 'em in. You need to set up the
table saw to get a good 90, but that shouldn't be a problem, then all
you have to worry about are the widths cut off the rounds...they
should glue up fine...no matter how good you get your jig, you'd have
a helluva time gluing those scroll-saw *or* hand sawn pieces...

cg