Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops
bz bz is offline

Default laptop power fault: compaq presario C300EA

wrote in news:d972e65d-ba83-4734-b5b7-
:

Nope. There are wet tantalum capacitors (that exist), but nobody uses
those in laptops. In laptops you find surface mount dry tantalums
among other solid types, not electrolytic at all... again, this refers
to semi-modern laptops, not something really ancient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Take a look at the pictures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...d-polarity.jpg

Check your laptop and make sure you DON'T have any of the mugs in the shot.

If you are saying that 'modern' laptops don't have
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...ectrolytic.jpg
then you are right but modern laptops DO have other types of electrolytic.

The defining part that makes a capacitor an electrolytic is the presence of
an electrolyte and the electro-chemical reaction that forms one of the
electrodes in 'very close proximity' to the metal electrode which can be
aluminum or tantalum or some other metal.

I used to make ceramic capacitors, so I am not really an expert on
electrolytic but you seem to have a mistaken idea as to what constitutes an
'electrolytic'.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.