Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Ebay is rigged

On 2009-02-19, SteveB wrote:

"Randy" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Bidding early works for me because I usually get busy and totally
forget about the item until its ended. I have other things to do
other than watch ebay all day.

[ ... ]

ISP's have hiccups, like anything else. A bid sent in three seconds before
the end may not get there in time. Bidding early with your maximum bid is
senseless, as it drives up the price. A snipe works best because it DOES go
in the last few seconds because of their superior connection, and you'll
either get it for what you want to pay or less.

That depends. If you are running the sniping program on your
own system, it is still vulnerable to the hiccups of the connection.

And *I* will not use a sniping site rather than a program on my
own computer, because it puts your username and password in the hands of
the people running the sniping site. (And vulnerable to any security
holes in their site if someone should decide to attack that site to
collect a bunch of username/password pairs.)

For that matter -- I suspect that using a sniping site *would*
be a violation of the policy agreement you "signed" when you joined
eBay, because you promise to keep control of your username/password
pair. If you hand it to a sniping site, you have violated that part of
the agreement, and eBay can justifiably kick you off.

Using a program on your own computer, however, or sniping
manually are totally outside that limitation.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564