Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RB[_2_] RB[_2_] is offline

Default Uses for gearmotor?

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:18 am, RB wrote:
Hmmmm. I do need something to lift heavy bulky objects up to 8 feet.

This is the most versatile cheap hoist I've seen.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=631

I bought the 2 ton one, in a store rather than from HF, because it's
the heaviest I can lift overhead and maneuver onto the hanger loop
with one hand. The harder part is getting it off the hanger which
means holding it by its hook to open the safety catch with one finger.
My other hand is on the ladder so the heavy swinging chain doesn't
pull me off balance.

It will pull a stuck vehicle if you have a helper to feed the hauling
chain in horizontally. Otherwise it jams. I store it in a bucket that
I put under it in use to keep the hauling chain out of the dirt.

Lever chain hoists are faster and easier but you need to be where the
lever is. The chain fall lets you stay on the ground farther away from
the load. I haven't tried non-commercial electric hoists since I
rarely lift heavy loads close to an electric outlet.

Jim Wilkins

I have one of those, and a smaller one.
i use them a lot, but haven't used them for horizontal pulling.