Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
[email protected] john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk is offline

Default examples of digital rip-off

Dave wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
But is there any good analogue any more?

No, and there never was.

People tend to put on rose-tinted spectacles (and headphones!) when they
recall the "golden age" of vinyl records, analogue TV, Radio 1 on AM
(Medium Wave). My grandparents fondly remembered 78 RPM records and
didn't like new fangled 33.3 RPM vinyl LPs, even when played in stereo.
People just cling on to old things and feel threatened by anything new.

As far as I am concerned, digital terrestrial is a huge improvement on
even the best analogue picture I have seen. In my experience, the
picture quality of digital satellite (BSkyB) is not as good as Freeview;
I have both.

When the weather turns nasty, digital signals can not be got from the
aerial, or satellite dish. Water, snow and wet foliage can act as an
R.F. screen. Analogue signals can still get through, albeit with a noisy
picture.

Dave

I'll second that.
Have line of site to Emley mast and perfect digi/anal reception.
Soon as summer comes, trees in the garden create multipath flutter on
Freeview. Things may improve when analogue is switched off and the
digi power level increased but the second rate Freeview picture
quality will not be improving.
TV execs are pushing profits by means of digital overcompression.
Flesh tones in particular, are looking more and more like paint-it-by-
numbers.