Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Wiring electric baseboard heaters

RBM wrote:
"RonABC" wrote in message
I am about to add electric baseboard heat to a finished attic space
in a house that I own.

The wiring diagrams in a book that I have and on the Internet show
to create a 220/240-volt system using a 12/2 feed up to the
heater(s), with 12/3 going from the heater to the thermostat. I
assume that means that at the panel box there would be a double
breaker to create the 220/240-volt, and that the white wire would
be coded at the panel and at the heater to be black. But, that
seems a little strange to me. Is that how it is supposed to be done, or
is it better or more
correct to run 12/3 as the feed and use the black and red wires as
the hot wires? I would do as Nate suggested, run the 12/2g from the
panel to the
line voltage thermostat, then off the load side of a line voltage
double pole thermostat, run a 12/2g to the heaters

There is a special 12/2 made for 220v heaters, the outer jacket is red and
the wires inside are colored red and black with a ground. It is acceptable
to run regular 12/2 cable but the white wire must be recolored with most any
color except white, gray or green.