Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.sys.laptops
[email protected] emailaddress@insightbb.com is offline

Default laptop power fault: compaq presario C300EA

On Feb 19, 7:35*am, bz wrote:
wrote in news:f8d97d59-d8dc-4594-8cd4-
:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5075/topsmfz3.jpg

Two light tan, near left bottom corner, ~1/4 distance to top edge and ~1/8
distance to right edge, with brown polarity bands, opposite polarity, bands
out.

?? You have not indicated any electrolytic caps (but that's to be
expected since there aren't any).

There are almost certainly others but resolution insufficient.

Other caps yes, but not electrolytic. I made that picture on a
scanner, how high a resolution can you handle?
Think these are 600DPI, roughly 6000x6000 res. so I'd recommend not
trying to open them directly in a web browser.
~ 11MB Top Scan http://69.36.166.207/usr_1034/Top.jpg
~ 7MB Bottom http://69.36.166.207/usr_1034/Bottom.jpg

I see at least 3 on the bottom view, one near the top edge center and two
near the bottom edge center, partially hidden by a wiring bundle.

Caps yes, tantalum or other solid types like niobium. I suppose I
should clarify that sometimes I'll see people calling solid
capacitors, "solid electrolytic" but that is a misnomer, electrolytic
implies a liquid electrolyte. Perhaps they really meant solid
aluminum (can).

Any cap over 10 uF will probably be electrolytic.

Practically all (on that example board scan) that aren't ceramic are
over 10uF, none of which are electrolytic. Certainly years ago this
would have been near impossible at any reasonable price, but great
gains have been made in solid capacitors in the last 8 years or so,
give or take.