Posted to rec.woodworking
coloradotrout coloradotrout is offline

Default Digital Protractor vs Angle Guage and which brand

On Feb 17, 5:29*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"coloradotrout" wrote in message

Would this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20516

or this

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...01&cat=1,43513

or this:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_products.htm#1548

be more useful than this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=5894

or this:

A year ago I nearly bought the "digital angle guage" (square box that
shows relative angles), but now the protractor models seems to have
more uses (horizontally on miter saw), and comparable accuracy.

Any thoughts on the Lee Valley $25 model vs Peachtree or Woodline's
model (Wixey based)?

I bought the LeeValley for $19.95 when it first came out and that was a
bargain.

It has one really really big design flaw that bites me all the time. *The
digital read out is often hidden when measuring certain acute angles. *You
can't read through solid aluminum if the display does not happen to be in
the display opening.

I would probably go for the Wixey if I had it to do again and I would get
the box gauge also. *I have both. *IMHO the magnetic box gauge is easier to
use when setting up blade bevels on the TS or BS.- Hide quoted text -

Add these to the mix (Hartville Tool seems to have good pricing)

Digital Protractors
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12978

Beall Tilt Box
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12511