Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Ebay is rigged

"Randy" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:49:41 -0500, "ATP*"
wrote:

"Randy" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:20:36 -0800, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

Place your maximum bid 3 seconds before the auction ends.
No time for shill bids or snipers to react and jack the price.

I think that doesn't work. I sell some old car parts nearly every week.
The
auctions usually double in the last hours, then double again in the last
2
minutes. As the seller, I am watching who bids and when. Often, the high
bidder placed his bid 2-5 days ago and the sniper only made more money
for
me and got nothing.
When I bid, I figure out how much the item is worth to me, and then go
just
a little more, then don't worry about it until the auction ends. I never
have to wonder if another $ would have done it.

I agree, I bid early, sometimes days before it ends. I bid what I
want to pay and if someone outbids then then OK. most times I get an
identical item for less money in the end.

Thank You,
Randy

Why would you bid even a little more than the item is worth to you? That
makes no sense. Bidding early also makes no sense, unless there is a
possibility of a second chance offer or you are worried the seller may
pull
the item and it is something that is extremely important to you.

Bidding early works for me because I usually get busy and totally
forget about the item until its ended. I have other things to do
other than watch ebay all day.

Thank You,
Randy

ISP's have hiccups, like anything else. A bid sent in three seconds before
the end may not get there in time. Bidding early with your maximum bid is
senseless, as it drives up the price. A snipe works best because it DOES go
in the last few seconds because of their superior connection, and you'll
either get it for what you want to pay or less.

imho, ymmv, and all that

Steve